View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
chekmark

Re: help me help her

This is alot to absorb at first and so much to understand but once you start getting a clearer picture it becomes easier. I had exactly the same treatment but with no radiation. I have 6 herceptins to go (mine are every 3 weeks). The chemo will be the hardest part for her from my experience but very doable. It will be over before you know it. The herceptin is pretty easy I really have no side effects to complain about except some acne and joint pain. Herceptin has changed the outcome for all of us her2 sisters and she will be fine. You did not mention what stage she is or if she had a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. I am assuming lumpectomy since she will be getting radiation. Support is important and there will be down days but she will get through this. I remember thinking that I could not put one foot in front of the other and move forward but I did and I managed to work thru it all. I think the physical part was worse for me than the side effects of chemo. Going to work that first day with my wig on was hard but I had to tell myself that it was just as hard for my co workers to see me for the first time as well. Cancer treatment is not as hardcore as it used to be. She needs to tell the docs/nurses about anything unusal and they will work out all the kinks to make it as easy as possible for her. Stay strong and before you know it it will all be behind you. Becky and Bonnie are very informative and give great and encouraging advice. Hopefully they will both chime in. God bless you for being there for her. Good luck and keep us posted.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote