View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Becky

Re: I Was Told to Avoid

All things in moderation. If all we ate was salad (traditional types with just veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, mushrooms) we would also eventually die from lack of protein and other vitamins and minerals we need even though salad is very,very healthy. As such, a piece of birthday cake, a glass of wine, will also not kill you unless you have several every day and it won't do you any good. Flaxseed and soy products are good for you but in moderation. As with the salad, cake and wine example - if that's all you do, its not so good for you.

The jury is still out on flax and soy versus hormone positive cancer but how could a serving here or there really hurt. A couple of pounds a day would be bad for anyone.

To be sure, I would go to a good nutritionist - perhaps one that works at your cancer center since they are even more in tune with cancer and discuss your situation.

For the record, I was never a soy person before cancer but always enjoyed the vegetarian selections of Chinese and Thai food that contain tofu. I continue to enjoy those selections when having these entrees. I also use ground flaxseed and actually put it into baked goods so my daughters get some without knowing it - pancakes for example. However, I don't put flaxseed in or on everything I eat.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote