View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Ridiculously simple...!

People are always asking me what exactly I do when I meditate. I am happy to share.

I sit in a comfy chair or lie on my bed. I close my eyes and focus only on my breath. I dismiss every thought that occurs instantly. Just keep batting them away like flies.

No mind. Only breath. Take life-affirming in through my nose, sucking it in to the count of 7. Then hold on to that breath. Ground myself in The Now -- to the count of 7. Finally, blow that air out through pursed lips, kissing it goodbye along with letting go of any and all that is negative in me (in my head and in my body)... To the count of 7.

Just keep repeating that for about 10 minutes.

Sometimes I start imagining myself in my favorite place in the world. For some this is a beach, for me it is a wooded area I was led to when I was 15 years old, in the Poconos of New York.

I instantly become transported. To that treasured, radiantly glorious spot -- and -- to the feelings and emotions I experienced all those many years ago.

I go to this spot when I have CT scans or MRIs, when I am forced to wait (anywhere) and before or after I do the breathing thing.

Remember your wondrous spot that filled you with awe and joy? See it in vivid detail. The sky, the ground, to the right and the left of you. Smell it. Listen... Were there certain sounds? The trickling or stirring of water? Birds chirping? Rustling? Can you feel a breeze? Return there any time you wish. You are free to do that.

And when you return to reality, the wonder of that experience will remain with you. For hours... Then go out and create a great day for yourself. Despite all the unwanted inconveniences and stresses that Life seems to come with.

How we choose to process the realities we are given determines how we will feel. Perspective is key. THOUGHT precedes all emotion. So, I am careful about what I allow myself to ponder and dwell on all day.

It's really really hard some times to reject the awfulness of situations and the constant stream of thoughts and ideas that come from that angry voice in our heads. But, the power of your Inner Voice, which is your truest Self, or your Spirit, is far far greater...!

I KNOW I must consciously choose to listen to my Higher Self. Most of the time. Yes, and sometimes, I forget...

But if I am feeling rotten and distressed, I try to remind mySelf that -- OH, I'm -- disconnected! That's what's wrong! I'm misaligned. Misidentifying myself as that harping voice in my head. WE ARE SO MUCH MORE THAN A BODY AND A MIND... We are each a luminous Soul with the might to rise above the chaos and become The Witness. Observing from above, separate from our trials and their consequent emotions.

I wish you happiness and harmony, the ability to see how sweet Life is and the power to "suck out all the marrow of life", as Thoreau so beautifully put it. To feel alive!

Or as e.e. cummings wrote, "If 180 million people want to be undead, that's their funeral, but I happen to like being alive"...

Here's to Life!!!!!!!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote