View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #48
Kavy

Re: Help! Brain mets besides lung mets

Hi, All,
You won't believe my SURGERY UPDATE
My surgery was scheduled for today. Sorry I did not say anything yesterday, but I wanted to surprise everyone being back so soon. By the way things turned out, I was the one who was surprised.
I went to the hospital early this morning, checked in, went to the surgery floor, changed in my gown, anesthesiologist came, started the IV, and started asking questions. I told him about my 3 big lung tumors, that I have a mediastinal shift to the left, he also notice my cough. He CANCELED the surgery, because he needed further scans, chest surgeon cleareance for him to put the ventilator, because if something colapsed, it could kill me, and he was not taking the chance. I was in shock, in desbelief. He said they would reschedule the surgery for a week or so, bla, bla, bla. Went home very disappointed after all the preparation. Later in the day, got a call from Dr. Black's assistance saying that because that was a risky surgery, he was not doing the surgery anymore, but that I qualify for Gamma Knife. I'm still trying to make sense of what happened today. So now I'm scheduled for tomorrow to see the radiation neurosurgeon who does Gamma Knife, knowing that this is not the best option for me.
I wasted almost a month on research, doctors visits, steroids, got a round face already, the tumors are probably bigger, and I'm back to where I was a month ago. Great!
My oncologist has been of no help from the beggining. He suggested WBR, when I told him I wanted to do some SRS, he said brain was not his field, that the tumors in my lungs were stables, that he saw me in 3 months.
If the tumor in my cerebellum were smaller, I would be more hopeful, but after my reseach, I know I'm heading for trouble. I just pray that Gamma will work for me as it did for StepheN, but I think she is a lucky exception. I pray I will be too.
Love,
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote