View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Char

Re: Herceptin and CA 27.29 tumor marker

My Oncologist at unc Chapel said that when starting a chemo drug it can elevate your blood markers but it's not to be concerned with the numbers until you give time for the chemo treatment is further into it's course of treatment.
I've been on Tykerb for 2 months and now my blood markers are just begining to come down.

My History updated below:

Oct 07 R Mastectomy 17 of 21 POS lymph nodes at Camp Lejeune NC.
Referred to Oncologist in New Bern NC. for Treatment of ER+PR+ Her2+
Oct-Nov 2007Adinmycin/Cytoxin (A/C and Taxotere 8 Weeks
2008 Radiation 33 days
Herceptin 1yr Aprox Date: early 2008-2009 started Arimidex
Jul 09,1st Pet Scan showed tumor L scapula bone Started Monthly Zometa (zoledronic acid)
Oct09 pain in groin area, MRI report stated pubic bone looks suspicious for tumor. Oncologist said it was arthritis but the word arthritis was not on the MRI report)
Feb 2010 Blood markers values went from 89 in Nov 09 to 187 on Feb 11, 2010 so a PET SCAN was done Feb 2010 Pet Scan confirmed the suspicious MRI back in Oct09 on the pubic bone, another tumor.
Radiation to the pubic bone and the L scapula bone reduced the size and relieved the pain.

My husband with 26 years in Navy Medicine, told the oncologist that he was upset about the Doctor saying back in Oct 09 the MRI just showed arthritis and we will not have anymore appts with him.
Now we go to UNC Chapel Hill.
Taking Tykerb and Zometa and my blood markers are coming down. I feel great. Thank the lord.
Arimedex Daily for life.
R arm Lymphadema. July 09: Pet scan. finds tumor in L shoulder blade (scapula)
Treatment: Zometa IV Monthly, Monitor growth markers and Bone scans.
The Dr.'s will check markers to Oncologist: Dr. Muss @UNC & Dr. Cho CCHC New Bern NC.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote