View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #32
Paula O

Re: For those interested: Scripture Through the Her2 Fight

“We see always what we are looking for, and if our mind has become trained to look for trouble and difficulty and all dark and dreary things, we find just what we seek. On the other hand, it is also possible to form the habit of looking always for beauty, for good, for reasons for thanksgiving and joy. Here too, we shall find precisely what we seek.” (JR Miller, 1840)

Philippians 4:8

New Living Translation (NLT)

8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

The Message (MSG)

8-9 Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

King James Version (KJV)

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

8 For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

Good News Translation (GNT)

8 In conclusion, my friends, fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,(Phil 4:13) including training my mind to focus on what is true, honorable, right, good, pure, lovely and loveable, noble, kind, winsome, gracious, admirable, gracious, reputable, authentic, compelling...things that are excellent and worthy of praise... even and perhaps most especially when things seem not to be going well.