View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #28
AlaskaAngel

Question Groundhog Day #16

Well, the 30-something nurse (who has never had breast cancer, chemotherapy, steroids, or chemopause) explained cheerily to me that it usually takes her at least 35 days to lose any weight once she starts working out and dieting....

After 15 days of 1300 to 1400 calories a day and an hour a day 7 days a week of brisk walking a total of 3 miles a day based on the highway mileage markers, my weight is exactly the same as it was when I started.

Since this result is based on zero breaks from dieting and no sick days or missing any exercise, it does seem that is what it would take not to gain any weight, 365 days a year. The brisk walking is a daily challenge that is good for me and I think exercise in itself does help to keep cancer at bay. It also helps with balance, bone health, and stamina. But the extra weight is a significant risk factor so it has to go.

The idea that my diet has to be permanently restricted like this without even losing any weight is the real nightmare. There isn't a minute I'm awake that I'm not consciously and constantly hungry, even right after meals.

The question is open as to what it would take to actually lose weight, in addition to the exercise and dieting I'm doing now.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote