View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
rinaina

Radiation repercussions almost 10 years later

September 17 I was hospitalized following an ER visit due to heart symptoms. I have good blood pressure and no previous heart history. I do have Sjogrens Syndrome, an auto-immune disease.
My symptoms that brought me to the ER were a feeling of strong indigestion, not reflux, and I never felt such a strong feeling before, beginning in my chest and working its way up to my throat. After several episodes and a feeling of jaw pain, I decided to high tail it to the ER. They were concerned and took blood started an iv within minutes a cardiologist, my husbands, said she wanted to do an angiogram. That was normal, no blockages. Next day they did echocardiogram and a heart Mri. Do was pericarditis and fibrosis possibly due to prior breast radiation. Now fast forward to my 3rd breast reconstruction on December 7. Surgery went fine but had oxygen saturation issues in recovery so stayed in recovery 6 hours before being admitted to a room. They did a chest X-ray and it showed cardiomegaly, hazy opacity throughout lungs suggesting alveolar edema, moderate to marked hypo inflation and micros telecasts. There was a patchy consolidation at the left lung base which may be atelectasis or infiltrate. It also confirmed fibrosis in a part of heart. I attribute all this to breast radiation back in 2006. Anyone else with lung issues due to radiation. Feeling so frustrated. It wasn't enough to deal with a Her 2 do then have giant crater open wounds following my first breast reconstruction. Now very concerned about my heart and lungs. So upset.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote