View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
gdpawel

Re: Precision highlights role of ChemoFx test, multi-gene predictors for breast cance

It's interesting that you brought up about the legendary leaders in China testing the effectiveness of herbs.

Ralph W. Moss' new book, "Customized Cancer Treatment" talks functional profile. He makes a very good case for drug sensitivity tests to see which drugs will work best. He does a tremendous job turning over every single stone why The Test (as he calls it in the book) has struggled to gain acceptance in the billion dollar cancer medicine industry, and putting together in one book all of the research I've ever read over the last decade about cell culture assays.

I was intrigued by Moss' association of cell culture assays and CAM in the final conclusions of the book. He feels that there are many treatments of natural origin that have been proposed as candidates for cancer therapy. Some of these may have great value. He reminds us that about one-quarter of all chemotherapeutic agents had a natural origin.

Moss feels that cell culture assays, when applied to CAM, would provide a similar service as it does to chemotherapy and could become the ultimate guide to choosing treatments that are likely to work and avoiding those that do not, at least in terms of causing programmed cell death (apoptosis).

He points out that at the present time, none of the American chemosensitivity laboratories "routinely" screens natural agents, although one of them has communicated to me that on occasion, they have screened such agents if the patient and physician explicitly requests it and provides a sample.

Moss feels that there is no reason that other labs could not and would not do this sort of CAM testing if the cell culture assays were made routine. Not all CAM treatments work by means of stimulating programmed cell death, but those that do could be discovered via the assay.

http://www.amazon.com/Customized-Can.../dp/1881025012
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote