View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #64
Ruth

It has been a while since I have posted anything. This is a great idea Al to try to get to know our fellow members.

I live in Georgia, have 3 kids and a wonderful husband who is very supportive.

I have always been involved with charity work and after diagnosis became very involved in my area with breast cancer concerns. I felt that I personally needed a support group with younger women that have been diagnosed with breast cancer (and felt maybe other ladies needed it too) so we got one started; co-wrote a play about dealing with a cancer diagnosis and the many aspects of how cancer changes your life into a more meaningful one (the play has been performed in local towns and will go national this year!). I also went to Washington DC to lobby congress on payment reform (insurance concerns) for the underprivedged and now am training for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in DC in 2 weeks. OK, I sound crazy don't I? I am still involved with speaking about BC but mainly my passion is for the underprivedged who don't get screened early and don't have insurance.

I was diagnosed in 6/03 while nursing my daughter; 3 cm IDC, 10+/16 nodes, ER/PR-; HER2 3+; 36 years old. My treatment included dose dense A/C; then modified radical mast. on right; then 12 weekly taxol/herceptin combos followed by 28 rads and 40 more weeks of herceptin. Took Herceptin off-label and ended year in 8/04. I looked into clinical trials with vaccines then backed off the further out I got from treatments. I am thinking about reconstruction now but am still undecided if I want to feel bad even for a day if I don't have to! My Dr recently put me on 6 month visits and I truly feel that the Herceptin helped do the trick. I changed my eating habits and am a firm believer in yoga, taking supplements and juicing. I know that my risk of recurrence is high but I also feel that I have got to live every moment that I am here. I've done things I always wanted to do and music to my ears is when one of the boys says to me "Mommy, you are SO MUCH FUN!" My daughter is now 2 1/2 and I can't think of a better time to be alive. Whether your living with cancer or with the fear of a recurrance it is still great to be here and enjoying what you have.

This site is a great place. I have sent many women here to take a look. When I was going through those hard days & nights you all gave me so much hope. Thank you.