View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #79
Paula O

Re: For those interested: Scripture Through the Her2 Fight

How wonderful that you were able to feel well enough to really enjoy your son's graduation, Susan. Neato on God's timing of the delayed reaction! I'm so glad that you switched over and are getting excellent care for your treatments. You are half way through chemo, coming closer and closer to the home stretch of having chemo behind you and moving onward towards rebuilding vibrant health --wooohooo!

This morning I read these thoughts:

"There is an ongoing battle within me between my pursuit of happiness and my desire to have joy. Although joy may produce happiness, the two are not interchangeable. Joy is always available. Happiness is dependant on circumstance. Our Maker created us for joy, yet we can’t produce or manipulate it. That’s the rub. I’m made for joy, but I spend my days chasing after happiness.
“The difference between shallow happiness and a deep, sustaining joy, is sorrow. Happiness lives where sorrow is not. When sorrow arrives, happiness dies. It can’t stand pain. Joy, on the other hand, rises from sorrow and therefore can withstand all grief. Joy, by the grace of God, is the transfiguration of suffering into endurance, and of endurance into character, and of character into hope – and the hope that has become our joy does not (as happiness must for those who depend on it) disappoint us.” Walt Wangerin
"...God leaves his fingerprints all over my day, if only I’ll have the eyes to see them. I’ve been created with a voracious appetite for joy, yet I spoil it by snacking on pleasure, convenience, and whatever promises relief from pain. Rather than retreat from the darkness that can be present in life, I want to lean toward it. To see the gift of the moment. To receive and embrace what has been given to me rather than longing for lesser gifts.
"...At every turn, grace awaits discovery. The spider is spinning, the flowers are bursting into bloom, and the earth and all its inhabitants are proclaiming that there is hope. One day, everything sad will finally come untrue. The sun will rise for the last time, and will forever dispel the shadows that temporarily hinder our vision. Everyday, we’re offered a glimpse of that eternal joy. At times, it’s glaring brightly for all to see. Yet at others, we may need to lean in toward the shadows. As the eyes of our heart strain to see the miracle of grace, it’s not through panes of glass that we peer. It’s through the shadows cast by two pieces of rough, blood-stained timbers. Through the eternal intersection where death and life gave birth to hope. We have access to the hope that will not disappoint when we’re willing to “Look closer… it’s just hidden in the dark.”

Excerpts from:
http://greenertrees.net/2012/05/29/joy-in-the-shadows/

"Endurance" popped out at me and I did a word search" at www.BibleGateway.com and found these verses:
  1. Romans 5:3
    We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.
    Romans 5:2-4 (in Context) Romans 5 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  2. Romans 5:4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.
    Romans 5:3-5 (in Context) Romans 5 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  3. Colossians 1:11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy,
    Colossians 1:10-12 (in Context) Colossians 1 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  4. 2 Thessalonians 1:4 We proudly tell God’s other churches about your endurance and faithfulness in all the persecutions and hardships you are suffering.
    2 Thessalonians 1:3-5 (in Context) 2 Thessalonians 1 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  5. 2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.
    2 Thessalonians 3:4-6 (in Context) 2 Thessalonians 3 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  6. 2 Timothy 3:10 [ Paul’s Charge to Timothy ] But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance.
    2 Timothy 3:9-11 (in Context) 2 Timothy 3 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  7. Hebrews 6:12 Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God’s promises because of their faith and endurance.
    Hebrews 6:11-13 (in Context) Hebrews 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  8. Hebrews 10:36 Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.
    Hebrews 10:35-37 (in Context) Hebrews 10 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  9. Hebrews 12:1 [ God’s Discipline Proves His Love ] Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
    Hebrews 12:1-3 (in Context) Hebrews 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  10. James 1:2 [ Faith and Endurance ] Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.
    James 1:1-3 (in Context) James 1 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations