View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
caya

Re: Help with Lymphedema

I had 16 lymph nodes removed, and 2 years after my MRM I cut myself while slicing veggies. I did clean it, applied polysporin - but the next morning my entire right hand was slightly swollen. I knew immediately it was lymphedema and called my breast surgeon's office. His secretary said it could not be lymphedema because I was 2 years out from the surgery - uh, I told her- it can happen 20 years after the surgery, get me in to see him. She got me in the next day, and he was glad I had insisted, as it was lymphedema, albeit a very mild case. He sent my to the lymphedema clinic at the hospital, I got a compression sleeve and glove, which I only wear when I fly, and even then I sometimes forget.

I did get massage instruction, and have a yearly follow up at the clinic where they do the arm measurements etc. I am very very careful not to lift anything heavy, and try not to cut myself, of course - but if I do, I immediately clean and bandage it. You can't be too careful - I try my best, and my lymphedema is almost nil.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote