View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
AlaskaAngel

Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

In my point of view, it is very much a shot in the dark as to whether whatever chemo is chosen happens to be effective for a particular person's cancer. If it was that easy, we wouldn't all be wondering whether ours worked or not, and there wouldn't be differences of opinion about what regimen to use among oncs. I have never had trastuzumab.

Right or wrong, I "rely" more on the other things I do. Consistent exercise is known to improve the odds. None of my health care providers was at all interested in monitoring the vitamin D level back in 2002 when I was treated, but I was, and have I consistently worked on getting as much natural vitamin D (both through the eyes and through the skin) as possible. I stick to eating organic food to avoid all the hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, and herbicides that are in the food chain. I try to eat a diet that is balanced for omega-3's and omega-6's. I avoid simple sugars to keep a low glycemic level and eat more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.

The protective effect of chemotherapy falls off after the first 4 or 5 years, but positive behaviors can continue long over the years. I've never understood why we are given estimates for 10 years out in deciding about doing chemotherapy because the effect of chemo falls off so much after the fifth year anyway (although that is a generalization that applies to all bc, and they don't seem too interested in figuring out how it applies or not for HER2 positives). In our society people often would rather choose a short-term effort like a pill or chemotherapy than change behaviors.

Best wishes,

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote