View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
Kat77

Question Mastectomy & Radiation with Stage 4 Diagnosis

Hi - I have been lurking since October when I was diagnosed at 37 years old with Stage 4 BC triple positive with two metastasis to spine. This online support group has been a great source of inspiration and information.

After six treatments of herceptin/perjeta/taxotere my scans were clean and a follow up MRI on breast showed nothing. Dennis Slamon for Nobel Prize!

I am continuing on herceptin/perjeta for six more cycles until next scan. In the mean time I have been advised that I should have a mastectomy of breast followed by radiation to chest and where spots were on spine. Has anyone heard of a course of action like this in a Stage 4 patient? The surgeon and radiologist are gung ho for this, my oncologist respects their opinion but is more non-committal on benefits.

My husband has been coordinating care while I receive treatment as I have 3 small children and concentrating on them and treatment. He brought up this course of action and the doctors seem to agree.

My question: Has anyone followed this treatment plan or heard of anyone who has? I felt like I was getting back some of my life after getting off the chemo but now I'm going into surgery.

Much appreciated, Kat.
Kat77 is offline   Reply With Quote