View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #56
rentrac

Dear Christine,
Finallly got a chance to read back throught the thread. You're wise to have had the reconstruction when you did and to be sticking to the PT. I wish I had. It took a weight gain from other therapies that followed 2 years after the mastectomy to add weight to the other breast - talk about unbalanced! I went from being B cups on both sides to ultimately a D/-A while on an extended dose of Decadron! My poor lats on the side of my mastectomy lost so much tone I was cramping just lying on the other side. I'm in PT now, in part, so I can safely build up the lats without triggering lymphedema. The pool is absolutely the most wonderful PT in my opinion, and I'm not much of a swimmer myself. The hydrostatic pressure of the water around the arm affected by axillary dissection is one of the best ways to manage lymphedema at its earliest stages, and before it has a chance to start - something I learned from my wonderful lymphedema therapist.

I think it's federal law that mandates insurance pay for reconstruction.

Sounds like you're coming through your introduction to chemo pretty well. Benadryl and decadron can certainly leave you reeling, but if you expect that to happen, it's not quite as disconcerting. Just expect to get a little more fatigued after each treatment.

I envy your studying Latin! A language I've always wanted to take. I tried catching up on medical journals with my first chemo, but found that I developed an increasing loss of focus, aka chemobrain. I switched to learning how to knit. I could put it down whenever I wanted to and not worry about losing ground but at the same time felt like I was doing something constructive. It only took me 2 years to get to the point I could knit scarves good enough to give as gifts!

Good luck, and know I'm another thinking of you.
Warmly,
Rentrac
Oct. 2003: Dx age 48, Stage IIIA Ductal Ca. dense dose neoadjuvent AC. BrCa 1&2 -, ER+, PR-, Her2+. 2004: R mastectomy, 3+ nodes, dense doseTaxotere ( allergic), total hysterectomy, radiationx36 . Tamoxifen x6 mo., Arimidex x9 mo. Jan. '06: Multi left metastatic nodes left neck. Stage IV. Taxol, Carboplatin (allergic to both), Herceptin, radiationx27. Herceptin cont'd. 1 mediastinal met in old rad field. April: 2 brain mets - Rcerebellar, Ltemporal lobe. Gammaknife. Stop Herceptin, Start Tykerb. May: CyberKnife-mediastinal node, Zometa restart. July: New RLung mets. Xeloda add. Jan. 2008: CT: Lung mets shrinking. Fatty liver w/increased liver function panel. Feb '08: MRI: brain mets back, 2nd GammaKnife. June: Migraine headaches from cerebellar tumor. Team for WBR - Choose Craniotomy on Cerebellum only. Aug: Crainiotomy successful. Sept: PET -right lung apex clean; left internal mammary artery appears malignant. Herceptin in future. Left mastectomy?
rentrac is offline   Reply With Quote