View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #208
bailey

Ladies - I'm sorry to hear about your Herceptin side effects. I started on Herceptin in 2003 so it's not a new drug but I am now on Tykerb as they found spots on my lungs but I'm doing fine. With Herceptin you do get muscle and joint pain but for me it was not too bad and I attribute that to my exercise routine. I am in the gym 5-6 days/week and do 3-4 spin classes/week. I don't always feel I want to go and work out but I know it helps with the joints and overall health. I also drink tons of water, eat alot of protein and good healthy carbs. No butter or alot of fats and sugar although I do splurge and enjoy wine. Not sure about the spots around the ankles but if it's circulation you need to get out and walk 3 miles/day or do something active for at least 45 mins/day.
As for the memory loss, that also comes with menopause if you are in it but you need to keep your mind active so I"m not sure what you do for that - read, crossword puzzles, whatever but it does get better.
Kat - Your Dr. HAS TO GIVE YOU that info. He has no right to keep it from you and I would push very hard for that into or just go to wherever you had it done and request a copy from them but it is your right and your Dr. needs to be reminded of that.
If your skin is dry go and buy some vaseline petroleum jelly and after your shower or bath put it all over your feet and then put socks on - do it every day, do the same for your hands at night and put cotton gloves on - again every night. Get pedicures every 4 weeks. Use creams instead of lotions as creams are higher in moisturizing.
I know what you are feeling - all of you. I was first diagnosed in 2002 with BC, 2003 spread to lung and liver and okay till this March and now on Tykerb and Xeloda which are pills and doing great! There will always be side effects with everything to some degree but you can do it.
Another great thing to take for dryness, 4000 mgs. of good quality fish oil pills with EPA and DHA - get the 1000 mg. each tablet and spread it out throughout the day - take 4/day. It's amazing for your skin and just overall health. I live in Arizona and have been through alot of treatment and my skin is as soft and smooth and moisturized as can be - I am 54 and always get comments on my skin so if I can have it living here in AZ you can too.
I hope this helps you all - keep me posted and send more questions and hopefully I can help again.
Sending positive energy and prayers to you all
Barb
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote