View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Barbara2

Re: Support group advice

Bonnie, your reply brought a big smile. The lady who wants to start a group was asked to do so by two other ladies. It sounds like for our first meeting we will just get together and talk about how to set up the group, and lunch on the side would be fitting! The lady who asked me to help, told me that I am good at finding "stuff" so she was asking for an assist for what could be an assortment of things.

Our community is very small. We have ONE oncologist that serves 1/4 of South Dakota, plus some folks from neighboring states. I'm thinking our group will be small as well, but that is not to say it wouldn't offer support to it's members.

Sara, your assignment was a big one, and it sounds like you pulled it off very well. Holding your meetings at a hospital helped to keep the meeting on a professional level, and having an oncologist and psychologst on board would be ideal. Good for you for your desire and enthusiasm to make it happen. "You are not alone" is a great motto, and we may us it also.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote