View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #99
dawbs

Transfusion reaction

I feel so lucky reading of everyone else's problems. I've only had 4 Herceptin/Taxol combos so far, but I am feeling better each week and have virtually no side effects. (Slightly bloody nose and occasional pimples only.)

However I did have quite a weird infusion reaction with the first Herceptin. About 45 minutes into it I started to feel cold and within 5 minutes was shivering. This escalated such that I was trembling all over, even my teeth, so I couldn't even talk without biting my tongue. It was rather like a grand mal seixure, except I was conscious and laughing...it was so weird. I also had aching up and down my spine, legs and into my neck and the pain was worst at the site of previously irradiated spine mets. My oxygen sats, blood pressure and pulse all starting fluctuating, but I had no trouble with breathing or temperature, and I otherwise felt fine.

My oncologist said this was a "tumour lysis" response, not an allergic reaction, and that this reaction can occur rarely in people with lung mets (which I also have), apparently due to cytokine release. The symtpoms settled over a period of 45 minutes or so, after being given dexamethasone and promethazine, and I was able to finish the infusion (only about 50 mls anyway). The next two times I had premeds first and no reaction, and last time had no premeds and still no problems.

I felt it was a blessing. I had a mental image of tumour cells being fried and zapped and felt so priviledged to be such a good responder.

Has anyone else ever heard of this reaction?

Vicki
dawbs is offline   Reply With Quote