View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #16
Mary Jo

I have a different take on this subject..............

Although I couldn't agree more on the uncertainty of our future's I have a different take on this subject...........................

Although the thought of recurrence in my life (because at this point I have had no recurrence) is unsettling at best, I try to keep those thoughts and the thoughts of all of our uncertain futures at bay. You see, I try to look at life this way..................none of us knows what our tomorrows will bring us. None of us. I often comment that the only difference between me and my husband who has never had cancer is this..............I had my mortality slapped in my face and he hasn't. I've had to look at life differently - or chose to - because like you all said, uncertainty is a part of our future. BUT, it is also a part of every single persons future. Cancer or otherwise. That is what keeps me striving forward each and everyday. I look at each new day as an adventure. Each new purchase and decision a purchase or decision I have made for today. And only for today because I don't know what my tomorrow holds BUT (I hate to keep plugging away at this point) neither does anyone else.

People on this board have shown each of us that living with active cancer for years and years is definitely possible.

So, although I do understand what you are all saying (as I think of that day where I may experience a recurrence as well) I also understand that life is here for us to live. Life is here for us to enjoy and to do all we can with what we are while we are still here.

Cancer may rob us of many things but I refuse to let it rob me of a life I WANT to live. A life I WANT to enjoy. And, the WONDERFUL life God has given me.

Thanks for "listening" to my 2 cents worth.

Hugs to all,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06