View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #59
LindaBL

I am new to this board and also new to Herceptin.

At age 53, I was diagnosed in September of 2002 with a 2.4 cm IDC, Grade 2, negative nodes, positive ER, PR, and her2 neu. At diagnosis, I looked into getting into a clinical trial for Herceptin but did not qualify due to negative nodes.

My treatment: lumpectomy, SNB, 4 AC every three weeks, radiation, Arimidex and... Herceptin started three weeks ago.

After researching and listening to the ASCO results, I decided to start Herceptin-- 2 and 1/2 years after my last chemo. My onc supported my decision and my insurance company is paying for the treatment.

I will be receiving Herceptin every three weeks for a year. So far, my two treatments were not as easy as I expected. After the first treatment, I had a fever and chills in the afternoon. I had few side effects with the second treatment but my IV access was a real challenge. It looks like I will need a port.

This website has been a great source for information. I'm hoping for some positive reinforcement for my decision to start Herceptin so long after my original chemo...

Thanks,

Linda