View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #371
jaybt

I am Stage 3 Early breast cancer (locally advanced), ER positive, and postmenopausal. I commenced Herceptin with Taxol and will continue to take Herceptin every three weeks for approx 1 year until July this year. I also started taking Arimidex in December 07.

My two cents is that I believe there is a problem with identifying any particular side effect when a number of drugs are being taken concurrently. Its also well established that chemo does damage to our systems.

My adjunctive therapy was dense dose AC and Taxol/in conjunction with 3 weekly Herceptin. However on the second Taxol treatment/first Herceptin my body became toxic and I moved to weekly Taxol and continued with 3 week Herceptin.

The main symptom of being toxic was breathlessness. No previous asthma history and had given up smoking six months earlier. I was allowed back on Herceptin when it was confirmed after tests that no problem existed with my lungs. On the week that I now have Herceptin there is a tightness in my chest and I feel like I am not getting enough air. My heart races a little at times.

On the week I have Herceptin I have a crusty nose and feel fatigued. I feel "a bit quiet" but nothing bothersome. My heart function results are good over the three eco-cardiograms (MUGA's?) that I have had since taking Herceptin.

My body continues to ache quite badly after chemo (finished back in October 07), particularly the legs, ankles - and I numbness in my hands. I also continue to bloat, sweat and sleep badly some nights. However, I believe this is not caused by Herceptin but not helped with Arimidex as they worsened when I started taking this Arimidex. I will put mood swings, nail cracking and swelling of hands and feet to Arimidex, with fuzzy memory and loss of words to chemo.

My tumour markers have dropped considerably and I attribute this to good treatment which includes taking Herceptin. Obviously something has worked for me. I don't wish to contemplate the alternative if Herceptin was not available (and/or freely provided in this country). Like many of us I am just waiting for the next miracle drug to fix the rest up.
Stage 3C. 15 of 16 lymph nodes metatastic with extracapsular spread
ER: 50% +/++ PR: - HER-2 CISH: Positive. Mean copy number per cell :18.5
CT Scan/Bone Scan/Ultrasound no secondaries April 07
DD chemo AC x4 & Taxol x2 with Neulasta followed by weekly low dosage Taxol x6 in June-August 07
35 rads to breast and neck December 07
1 year of Herceptin until July 08 & Arimidex
Mammogram NED Feb 08
1ST YEAR SURVIVOR

jaybt is offline   Reply With Quote