View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
sarah

Re: how do you deal with friends who aviod you?

Hello,
Sorry to hear this but we've all gone through this. I agree about joining a support group, it will help you realize you're not alone and many others are going through the same thing. In our group besides this problem, some have seen their husbands/partners/caregivers give up.
May I suggest that you send those friends you would really like to have back in your life, (cut the rest- good riddance) send them a joke or cartoon not about cancer just anything and say "hey let's be in touch and please let's not talk about cancer."
It's not odd, after my relapse I emailed my brother - yes BROTHER and no answer, no call, nothing! so I emailed him and misquoted Mark Twain's famous line (after an obituary appeared for him!) "the rumors of my death have been greated exaggerated!" my brother called immediately!!! I didn't berate him and we talk about all kinds of stuff.
Read, watch movies, do what you enjoy and things will get better.
There's a wonderful post on this site about what to say to someone with cancer, not sure if you'd want to send it on but it's true so many people don't have a clue what to say and are scared. I had one friend who I thought was intelligent! ask me if it was catching!!! I fell over laughing but.....I actually thought she was brave (since she thought that) to come over and hug me!!!
You're at one of the hardest stages, it gets better and you'll find new, better, more understanding friends. Also caregivers need support too.
Our small support group where I live is wonderful and we have a great time and we're like a crazy family and we care so much about each other. This site also is a great support group.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah