View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
dlaxague

My experience after chemo and two years of arimidex:

Replens/lubrication worked "okay" during chemo when dryness became an issue. Then it wasn't enough - probably at about a year out from diagnosis.

Estring, and lubrication, helped for a year or two, during Arimidex.

By about three years out, neither of the above helped at all.

Six years out (I'm patient, or my husband is - and/or stubborn), I said "enough" and my gyn prescribed Estrace cream, which has made an incredible difference. Now, with a little lubricant help, it's practically normal.

I'm ER/PR negative.

Ideas for the libido - how about substituting intention, and patience - lots of it, for libido-as-you-may-have-known-it? Initiate or respond in the beginning simply because you do want things to happen. Take it slow and enjoy the process with an open mind to how it might be different but still good. Like many things after or with cancer - there's probably a new normal and wishing for "like it was" will not serve you well.

It irks me when providers or articles talk about adding lubrication (including Replens) as if that's always enough to solve our problems. It may be enough for some women without breast cancer treatment histories who are experiencing garden-variety menopausal symptoms, but it is not nearly enough for us. How many women give up altogether because they are told that lubrication should fix their problem?

Good discussion.

Debbie L.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote