Thread: Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #15
JessicaV

Angry Re: Alcohol

I was diagnosed in January, so still on Herceptin till Feb. I asked my oncologist what are the factors that I can affect that increase or decrease my chances of being in the 92% with my sort of cancer fineprint who don't get a relapse.
She said there are 4 of them:
Get my BMI to the "ideal" level and keep it there.
Exercise for at least150 minutes a week.
Keep my fat intake low.
Keep my alcohol intake low.
I have a glass of wine, but only one, when I feel like it, which might be one to four a month. (But my Christmas cake is half brandy-soaked sultanas and deliciously alcoholic). I try to keep dairy fats and meat fats reasonably low. I walk daily, or most days. I do a 4-day 600-calorie-a-day healthy-foods diet once a 3wk cycle unless I have been sick, and that has helped me lose 10kg in 5months without having to starve myself, and still being able to eat fun pleasurable food. Food is meant to be enjoyable, and doing it this way works for me without feeling deprived. I think you need to "budget" these things ie spend them wisely to get the max out of them. And take the judgement and guilt and heavy stuff out of the whole picture, so it is about looking after yourself well and having a good life while you have a life to live.
Best wishes, it ain't easy, is it?
JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote