View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
sarah

Re: Cancer Care Package...what would you put in it?

~Fantastic idea. I'm going to suggest to our support group here that we put a list together, also maybe suggestions for friends and family.
After the big surgery, I couldn't read or watch movies so I loved the audio books and music I was given to distract me. Also a scented small pillow to take away any hospital smells and a stuffed animal. Also loved waking up to a room filled with flowers - thought I was in a florist's shop - didn't know I had that many friends!!!
During chemo, read lots of books, that was a great pleasure. but another personality might prefer a video game or ?
I think it's important to know if the person is alone or has a partner, that can make a big difference.
Also I think a newly diagnosed person needs a cancer buddy, someone who's been through it and can give them morale support.
what annoyed me! when I was first diagnosed, all my sweet friends called to ask me what I had and what I had decided to do, they meant well but it was depressing talking about it over and over so I wrote an email to them all saying thanks but I'll email you when I know more. They understood and respected my wishes. I also said I didn't want anyone to visit me in the hospital except my husband.