View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
G. Ann

Hi Sherry,
I've not been dx'd with your stage so I hesitate to offer any comments. I don't think there is a single book that fits perfectly except the Bible. Having a few uplifting verses when you really need them might be helpful.

When I was first diagnosed four years ago, and my inclination is to expect the worst so I'm somewhat prepared, I decided to keep a small booklet of verses, messages, bible verses, etc. that I collected and wrote out, that picked my spirit up. I didn't want to go searching in a book somewhere, for that special thought or words of consolation, when I was feeling overwhelmed. I also thought if things did not turn out as I hoped, it might be a nice momento to leave to my adult daughter.

One book that I grabbed onto with gusto when I was first dx'd, was "There's No Place Like Hope," A Guide to Beating Cancer in Mind-Sized Pieces--by Vickie Girard. I think she was dx'd in 1989 with breast cancer and had recurrence in 1992 of Stage IV. The book was written in 2003 but it doesn't state her condition now. She did go to Cancer Treatment Center and has given talks for American Cancer Society.

There was one part at the end talking about "going on a picnic on a cloudy day." You can still plan the day, make food, pack the car, even though there's a chance of rain and take rain gear just in case. Or stay home and let the mere possibility of rain rob you of the day.

So easy to say but very difficult to do. I do believe most people have all they need right within you if we only stop and listen. In the scary times though, keep sharing and seeking. My recent scare put me in a tailspin and all my positive thoughts were out the window. The great responses to my post picked me back up again. You are in my prayers.
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote