View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
thickdescription

Re: Fasting pre, during, post chemo

Follow up on Fasting

I fasted for the third TCH cycle too and had very few side effects. However, my heart check up showed reduced heart function and on consultation with my oncologist, decided that fasting might be putting a strain on the heart. I decided not to fast for the fourth and fifth cycle. NB. When I met with a cardiologist and asked him about whether fasting would affect heart function he said it was unlikely if fasting only for five days. However, obviously, anyone considering this should consult with their own medical team.

Fourth cycle - no fasting - slightly increased nausea (first and only vomiting episode), considerably increased weakness and tiredness. However, hard to know whether this is related to not fasting or whether it is related to an increase in side effects over the duration of chemo.

Fifth chemo cycle yesterday. Thus far - side effects seem comparable to cycles 1-3. Perhaps significantly, cycle 4, I ate a standard diet. For cycle five, I decided to reduce simple carbohydrate intake as much as possible and focus on protein and complex carbohydrate.

NB. Am now on betablockers for heart function. Not sure how this plays out.

My understanding is that there have been no stage 2 clinical trials on human subjects and that this science is still in its infancy.

However, I have had an exceptionally easy time with chemo - this may be related to fasting, but is probably also related to my very high exercise level and water intake.

Anyway, that's my follow up for now.

Would love to hear of other experiences.
Re-excision Apr 5: no malignancy.
6 3-wkly cycles of Carboplatin/Taxotere from 5/10/13
Herceptin for one year from 3/28/13
Radiation X 37
Herceptin related cardiotoxicity: ACE inhibitors and Beta blockers prescribed
thickdescription is offline   Reply With Quote