View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
snoopy

Hi Dawn

I'm another one with a very similar profile to you -Stage 3. 4.5cm & 2.3cm Ductal - 9/15 nodes HER2+++/ER+/PR+..... - diagnosed in November 2004 when I was 41. I didn't think I'd be still around to see christmas 04 let alone be here today feeling (most of the time) semi human again, NED - and long may this continue. I've had chemo/rads/a years herceptin and an oophorectomy (thats the short version - I never do things by half and have had many problems en route).

My children were a little older than yours at diagnosis (8&10) - its really hard having to put them through all of this - but in a weird way having them has really helped me get through bad times - what ever happens I (and you) are laways Mum - smiles and cuddles are priceless.

Often liken life with BC to living on a rollercoaster - the highs and lows can be extreme and the speed with which I find I can lurch from one to the other is truely frightening and yes the smallest thing can set this off - I really relate to what you say, I'm sure all BC patients - what ever the diagnosis do to some extent. It does get easier as time goes on - I remember be told this when I was newly diagnosed - yeah right I remember thinking, but it really does.

Forums such as this are my lifeline, I'm so glad you found this one - the amount I have learnt from others is amazing (I don't post huge amounts - I tend to just "read") - allows me to ask questions of my Onc/Surgeon and feel that I have some (OK a very small amount) control/involvement in the management of my BC. Only other cancer patients actually know how a cancer patient feels.

If it doesn't sound too odd it almost feels "fortunate" to have HER2+++ disease as this is an area of intensive research - and positive results - the herceptin in early disease studies etc. etc.

It is hard to come to terms with a "poor" prognosis. I keep trying to remind my self that the figures we get quoted are just statistics - population studies - no one knows which side of a survival line they will fall. Just try to live my life as well as I can, and live it now. I (and you) will do it better on some days than others.

Good health to us all.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote