View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 05:13 AM   #11
Steph

Jeff wrote:
" I haven't heard of anyone who is using herceptin in the adjuvant setting staying on it for an indeterminate time"

Blame the FDA for this. The insurance people will only pay for what the FDA has approved, including clinical trials.
I wanted to have herceptin when I finished my first rounds of chemo with adriamycin and taxotere. My onc advised against the herceptin/adria trial for the "heart problems" reason. Too toxic when given together.
My health plan would only pay for herceptin if my disease returned - which it did by the time I was only 6 months off original chemo.
I do know a couple of women now who have virulent disease like mine that are getting herceptin off protocal at HMO's. Their docs are exceeding kind and know the risks for these women.
Yes, I advocate that as many women as possible with her-2/neu disease be given herceptin as a life-saving measure! (Hang the FDA!) There is enough production now, so that is not the problem. At least it can prolong life in many of us until there is something else, which is just around the corner.