View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
'lizbeth

Re: HER2 overexpression renders human breast cancers sensitive to PARP inhibition

GDP,

Thanks for the postings.

I am watching the PARP inhibitors with interest. My friend - who has BRCA1 ovarian cancer was in a Stanford trial. In the beginning she had dramatic results, then the cancer took off like it was on steroids.

So again, the metabolomics trumped genetics, and the cancer triumphed in survival of the fittest.

I had mentioned that she had her initial tumor tested with Rational Therapeutics and Estrogen played a key role. When she developed resistance to the initial treatment (platinum salt and Tamoxifen I think) she thought that blocking the estrogen does not work.

In the clinical trial, I do not believe estrogen receptors were addressed. It was like Lani's example - this time the windows were shut, but the front door was left wide open. It only took a few months for the puppy (cancer) to figure out it could get out! If she had also been taking Tamoxifen, or an Aromatase Inhibitor – I wonder if the resistance would have been delayed or overcome. If I remember correctly it was a monotherapy, but I wasn’t privy to all the details, so I’m not sure.

I’m not knocking functional profiling. I’m with you – I want to see the Phase III Battle of the Bands. I’m sure I already know which band is going to come out on top.

I see that Susan G. Komen gave a significant amount to explore the Her2/Parp issue.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...nhibitors.aspx

I wonder what it takes to get these charities interested in supporting the Battle of the Band? I think one of the issues is that it is testing, and it is easier to envision the benefits of new treatments.

Do you have knowledge of who is supporting funding? Is it Vanguard Cancer Foundation? We need bigger guns to get the Phase III funded. If we could get one of the top charities interested supporting the Battle of the Bands – then personalized medicine could really get somewhere. It would potentially save many, many patients from needlessly suffering through ineffective & toxic treatments.

I mean think of it, in the doctor’s office: Well, Mrs. Smith you can go into this clinical trial and get randomized into a standard of care treatment that may or may not work for you, or you can get the arm that personalizes your treatment into the one that works best for you.

Of course, you could avoid the placebo effect by not telling the patient which arm they are in.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote