View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
Becky

Re: percentage of those who respond to Herceptin

The 50% rate is for the first 2 years via the adjuvant trial. Follow up on those women at 5 years shows a 38% rate (31% if Herceptin is used alone).

There is lessening of affect because some recur later naturally. This lessening will continue over time but those getting Herceptin are better off than not but 50% no longer holds true and over time, the 38% won't either.

PS - After thinking, I feel I have not been very supportive in my message. Although my stats are correct, one must always remember that treatment of any kind is given to reduce the odds of recurrence, either local or systemic. For everyone, it is not a cure all but for many, it certainly is. Even after 5+ years out, I too think about recurrence as it certainly can still happen. However, every day and every year that passes, that chance does diminsh. I do remember the first 3 years out, especially the first one or two years, when the threat of recurrence is all you think about. It is normal but it is also not right. But many things are not right - like having to join our special club in the first place. All treatment works well and gives great stats in the get go but that does fade over time. Use that time wisely and put yourself in a good place. Enjoy yourself and your life. It holds true for everyone, not just cancer survivors. Keep thinking of yourself as a survivor because you are.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 03-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Add a PS - Supportive message
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote