View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
'lizbeth

Re: YES!!! It is here. Phase II vaccine trial for Her2 3+

Oh . . . you mean that you two instantly "rained on my parade"?

I had forgotten about the HLA status. What does that mean anyway? So here is what I found on Wiki and I will be keeping an eye out for more information.

Quote:
HLAs serve as the primary link between the immune system and interior of cells. Thus any alteration to the HLA that induces decreased binding to a certain peptide or increased binding to a certain peptide, is expressed as, respectively, increased susceptibility to disease or decreased susceptibility to disease. In other words, certain HLAs may be incapable of binding any of the short peptides produced by proteolysis of pathogenic proteins. If HLAs bind none of the peptides produced by a pathogen, then there is no way for the immune system to tell that a cell is infected. Thus the infection can proliferate largely unchecked. It works the other way too. Some HLAs bind pathogenic peptide fragments with very high affinity. This in essence "supercharges" their immune system in regards to that particular pathogen, allowing them to easily control an infection that might otherwise be devastating.[5]
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote