View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Debbie L.

Re: Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

Although vaccines have not (yet) shown much actual benefit, I hope and think that their time is approaching. Ideally, the success will be both from a treatment and a preventive perspective.

So I do have great hope for what the vaccine trials may do for those enrolled now, including you, Steph -- and for those to come. And I have great gratitude for all of you who've participated in the trials, over the years.

I had my intake appointment set, for a vaccine trial that was initiated out of the UofW, years ago -- when GSK canceled the trial. I would have participated at a site in the bay area (of California).

For me that trial would have involved the expense of a 5-hour drive, plus lodging, plus time ($$) lost from work. Which was not an insignificant expense for me. It was hard to consider taking that money away from the family, "just" for me, based only on my passion or intuition. But we could have managed it.

I have concerns about those who could not, in any way, manage such costs to participate in these kinds of clinical trials that involve travel. Especially the trials (like TDM-1) that might offer life-saving or life-prolonging advantages to those able to afford to access them. Yes, the trials themselves are "free". But the cost of travel and lost wages, especially nowadays in our tough economic climate, is prohibitive to many. Does anyone know of a clearing-house type of place (available nationally), where anyone (regardless of ability to pay) could get information about how they could be funded to participate in these trials? I know there are things like Angel Flights, and there are local or state organizations that offer assistance. But that involves a good amount of initiative and work on the part of the participant. Doesn't it seem like there should be easy-to-access, nationally-standardized opportunities for every person who wants to, to access a clinical trial? It's only fair and right.

It bothers me to think that some of these cutting-edge trials are available only to the rich, and/or to those who happen to live in cities that host the trials. We ALREADY, in the US, do not have equal access to quality care. It concerns me that the issues of travel costs and lost wages, for participation in trials, is widening that gap.

You'd think there would be a philanthropic organization out there who might want to step up to this plate, at least for breast cancer. Any thoughts?

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote