View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Gina

I think any of us who have any anecdotal evidence of oleic acid in our diets or supplements should try to help Dr. Menendez with his research. While I was taking Herceptin by itself (without any other chemo) since 1999, I discovered by chance that I was accidentally ingesting high levels of oleic acid in my diet and supplements without realizing it until I started researching all the food and other substances that contain it in high amounts. Besides olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil and evening primrose oil contain it, as do many shark and fish oil supplements. It is found in many nuts, especially walnuts. It is found in Black seed oil and castor oil contains a substance very similar to it. My case had puzzled doctors for years as for some reason, I seemed to need less Herceptin dosing than the golden standard. At certain points, even the 3 -week dosing seemed too much. My case is just one anecdotal event (I have been Stage IV breast cancer mets ER-PR- Her2 3+ for eight years with high QOL and the only drug I have used since 1998 is HERCEPTIN alone--no pre- meds even. I think it would be interesting to poll and see how many of us include olive oil and other forms of oleic acid in our dietary supplemental regimens and see if we can find any meaningful connections. Best wishes to all. Keep on keeping on.