View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
AbbyDawg

Hello!

In May 2006, I had the option of left lumpectomy or left mastectomy or double. I always tend to do as much as possible to be as safe as possible ... and to avoid additional things in the future, like another surgery. So I decided to do a double and with no reconstruction.

I ended up having IDC and DCIS, both aggressive grade 3, in left so if I had chosen lumpectomy, I'd have woken up to a mastectomy. And hearing that, I was even more relieved that I chose to have a double and avoid some additional stressing out and worry. I do still worry about recurrance though.

But I am single, was 52, and not concerned about appearance. And for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, I prefer to go "flat" and am not self-conscious about it. If I was wearing prosthetics I'd feel like I was walking around with a spotlight on my chest. But I'll figure that out some other time.

The only thing I do know for certain is that we are all individuals and all our choices are individual too. And that we have to make the choices in a hurry and under duress. But I do feel we are guided in our choices even when we don't feel it. And I know for certain this board is one place for love, understanding, reassurance, and knowledge from those who have gone before us leading the way!

You're in my prayers!

AbbyDawg
AbbyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote