View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
PatS

Hi Robin -

If you can find a thread titled "late herceptin" you'll find responses to a similar question I posted in eather Sept. or Oct. I think several women here are starting Herceptin after being out of treatment for 1+ years. I was diag. Stage 3 in 07/2002 and ending treatment in Jan. 2003 and am also considering starting Herceptin. Most oncs seem to say since there's no scientific evidence to prove it will help they can't recommend doing it if you're more the 1 year out of chemo, although some are still willing to give it. Right now, I'm waiting to see if my insurance will pay for it and will make my decision from there, My onc. doesn't think it will help (no scientific evidence, etc. etc.) and isn't too thrilled about my pressing the issue (I think she thinks I crazy ) but said if it something I need to do to be at peace and the insurance will cover it she'll do it. I did email the researchers from the HERA trial to see if they had any insight, and there reply was

"In the HERA trial, the maximum interval from the end of chemotherapy to the start of Herceptin treatment was 320 days. Therefore, it is really difficult for us to recommend the start of Herceptin treatment beyond this interval. On the other hand, we don't have any data indicating that the administration of Herceptin after longer intervals would be of no benefit."

Take Care,
Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote