View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Scans

The bone scan looks at bones for hot spots (which include things like arthritis) and the CT looks at all tissues in "slices". There may be differing philosophies among us about what to use if you do not have symptoms and particularly if you are NED. So I hope that it is understood that we may disagree with each other without animosity and only in providing food for thought.

The CT uses much more radiation than mammograms and so I believe it should be reserved for use for those with symptoms. The bone scan only looks at the bones and it is hard to distinguish other things like arthritis from cancer with the bone scan.

If you are HER2-positive and NED and symptom-free it would be my inclination to USE that to your advantage, and investigate the Bayer serum test or any others like it, along with breast cancer markers like the CA 15-3 or CA 28.29 plus other blood tests like your alk-phos and your ALT and AST (SGOT, SGPT) first before going to imaging. Imaging will still be there as an option if you are not satisfied by those test results.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote