View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
RobinP

Very Late Herceptin for early stage

I am almost a 4 year survivor of a4mm her2+++ bc, node negative by traditional standards but 1 sentinel node had a micromet. Was treated with masectomy and CMF for 6months.

About a year ago, I asked 3 leading breast oncologists at major cancer centers about Herceptin trails. All said I was too early stage for the trail and wouldn't give me Herceptin or the vaccine trail, stating that the cardiac risks were too high.I slso saw my breast oncologist in Aug of this year and he still discouraged me from Herceptin for the same reasons.

However, I never knew the HERA trail interm results from this past spring until yesterday when I read the New England Journal of Medicine's review of Herceptin after Adjuvant Chemo. Now I am thinking with my 7% risk of relapse, that it could be cut in half with only perhaps .5 CV risk. I am thinking about demanding Herceptin despite my warnings not to do related to cardiac risks. Of course, I am 4 years out which makes the decision a little hard as even some of the PIs of the HERA study don't know what to recommend with late Herceptin.

Just curious if anyone else is as far as 3-4 years out and is doing herceptin late?

Thanks in advance for the input!!!!!!!!!!!

Robin
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote