View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
jml

Re: Long term survivors

Hello~
Sorry to have to welcome you here, but you've definitely come to the right place. Our community here is among the most well educated, informed, respected groups out there, and you'll soon find out why.
I am an 8yr (in May) Stage IV Survivor, surviving and thriving, still fighting, but managing to have a pretty happy life.It gets bumpy and complicated at times, but you just hang on and ride out the rough spots.
I've had liver mets since my primary dx, with the disease progressing to "innumerable,immeasureable" lesions at one time. We were able to knock the disease back with Taxol/Herceptin, and I enjoyed a full year of NED. Since then, it's a matter of treating this disease like a chronic one, keeping tabs on it with PET scans, treating when necessary and enjoying treatment breaks when they come.
This initial period is among the hardest - adjusting to life living with BC. But the treatments now are pretty manageable and you will gain confidence as you move through this.Take small bites, one day at a time, one treatment at a time.
This is a horrible, insidious disease and we have all endured so much, but Florence can do it, as we have, and she's blessed to have you by her side to cheer & encourage her.
You're already on the right track - getting educated about treatment options, trusting the guidance of your docs, but don't be afraid to question or offer suggestions.
Please don't hesitate to post questions here as often as you need, even if it's just for a little encouragement or a kick in the pants to get going!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote