Thread: Checking in!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Kmswilson

Re: Checking in!

Thank you to those who responded and those who read. My news from scans last Monday was mixed. The AC knocked the liver mets back a little bit, and it kept the rest of the bone mets and breast tumor stable, but I now have brain mets. When I met with my onc before last scans, I mentioned that I'd had some mild headaches, blurry vision (but i always corrected and was mostly after reading on my phone or ipad). He suggested we go ahead and run a brain MRI since it had been a year, though he really thought these were just side effects of over a year of chemo. So it was really kind of a shocker. They found 9 lesions, and they said most are tiny, caught very early. The largest is about 7 mm. When I met with the radiation oncologist, he said some were so small he had troubles finding all nine, so I guess if I have to get them, that's good news. He also said they were too small to be causing any symptoms, and had I presented the same symptoms I did to my onc to him, he would never have thought they were caused by brain mets. Thank the Lord I have an oncologist who always seems to be a step ahead of whatever I'm facing. So on Monday, I started whole brain radiation. Can't do directed because they are spread all over, not located near one another. I've stopped chemo and will have a total of 13 rads, I've had 5 already. When that's done, I'll be starting on Lapatinib and Xeloda. I'm optimistic that the rads will do their job, and I'm hopeful my liver doesn't spin too out of control while I'm on this break so I can get back to killing those mets with chemo. My liver is prett chock-full! :-) So anyway, that's my story. Not exactly what I was prepared for or hoping for, but this journey rarely is, I'm learning! Best we can do is meet each challenge head-on and beat the crap out of it!!!!
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
12/11 - liver progression; begin AC, drop Herceptin;
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
5/2012- brain MRI shows all lesions gone except 1, 2mm shrinking!
Kmswilson is offline   Reply With Quote