View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
jacqueline1102

Re: Weird Mammogram Report

Greetings Spitfire,

Please, please, please advocate to have the 3D mamm at the bare minimum. Back in 2004, I discovered that my BIRADS was a 3 and my breasts were extremely dense. I was never informed. During this time, there was no such thing as the Breast Notification Act which is now law requiring that all women will receive information about their dense breasts. During that time, your PCP would receive the report and the patient would receive the "all is well" report. Much has changed. Year after year, mammograms were not cutting it with my extremely dense breasts. So, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 it was a shock; especially after in 2012 I requested all of my records from my PCP. IT was then that I discovered the whole issue with dense breasts. My radiation oncologist even said, "The health care system has failed you, Jackie." I was informed then that women with dense breasts should have an ultrasound and really a Breast MRI. The issue is with insurance. Insurance companies only pay for the following trajectory: Mammogram, Ultrasound, and then Breast MRI.

I refused to have a regular mammogram recently. With Stage IV it was like I really do not need to do these anymore. But with hospitals having the ACO connection, it's all about them getting higher scores and therefore more reimbursment at the end of the year. So, off to the 3D mammogram I went. Research says better but in my opinion try to get that ultrasound-Breast MRI.

I feel passionate about this matter. I have just known too many women with dense breasts where the whole cancer thing was missed. Even after the initial TCH and my right breast was removed, the surgeon removed a 2.5 cm tumor from my chest. Huh!

Good luck to you. And if you have to, use the power of your sign on name; Spitfire, to ensure that your health care needs are being adequately attended to. You can always change providers, hopefully, depending on your insurance situation.

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote