View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #55
VDC

Re: I think I'm in trouble!

Thanks for asking! I am sitting in the hotel lobby waiting a few hours for my shuttle to take me to the airport and back home!

I was scheduled for THREE MRI guided biopsies for yesterday. I ended up having two because the third lesion disappeared and was no longer visible. We had thought that the posterior lesion was the one visualized by mammography and biopsied back in October. This has proved NOT to be the case. It is an entirely new lesion. There is no news yet on either biopsy pathology. The pathology report should be back by Friday...or so I am told.

What this means is that I have the original biopsy proven area of DCIS, AND these two new lesions that may or may not be more DCIS. They LOOK like DCIS on MRI but are not visible by mammography or ultrasound...which is common with high grade DCIS.

What is strange is that the original lesion is NOT visible on MRI. 98% of high grade DCIS IS visible with MRI and in fact MRI is highly effective at determining extent of disease for high grade DCIS. So, either this original lesion (which was biopsy proven high grade) is part of that 2% that cannot be seen with MRI or the morphology of the lesion has changed...which also happens. Although usually they don't change from high grade to low grade so this is a bit of a puzzle.

Today I had two ultrasound guided biopsies scheduled for the OTHER breast! I ultimately had one biopsy. The first site was injected with lidocaine and the lesion disappeared! The doctor said that when a lesion disappears with the addition of lidocaine he is no longer worried about the lesion because that usually means it is benign. The second lesion was biopsied and the results will be available probably on Monday. He said the ultrasound was indicative of a fibroadema but that until biopsy results came back we wouldn't know for sure.

So, all in all three biopsies rather than five. And of the three, two look like greater extent of DCIS while the third is most likely benign.

Yup, I'm sitting here with TWO VERY sore breasts! (I'm not complaining, just an observation!)

I am flying out tonight and I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds for 24 hours.....yeah right. NOT going to happen! I have a suitcase which definitely weighs more than 10 pounds! I'll try to be careful but I have to have my suitcase with me! (actually a VERY full duffle bag)

I also received word that I start the clinical trial on July 11th! Woo-Hoo! This has been SO long in coming. VERY ready to start this new adventure!
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote