View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
BonnieR

Re: Does your chemo nurse let you see the bag before she/he hangs it?

I think we should always be vigilant about our care. When I was first given Neulesta I asked to read the literature. It stated clearly that it is to be given 24 hours AFTER chemo. The nurse was preparing to give it to me immediatly, in the chemo room. I pointed out the literature and she insisted it meant to be given in the first 24 hours. I called over the nurse practictioner for support. She hedged and said that they sometimes give it the same day if a patient has to travel a long distance. Well, I live in walking distance of the hospital! And no one asked where I lived. I am certain that it was that nurses' routine practice to give the shot the same day. she is a veteran nurse and has worked there for years. How many shots has she given incorrectly? What else does she get wrong?? She begrudgingly agreed for me to come back the next day, but acted as though I was being a diva.
I spent my last 5 years being vigilant. It is exhausting sometimes.
Keep the faith.
ETA: It was because of THIS board that I got suspicious about the timing of the injection. I remembered reading abut the day after shot here.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote