View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Linda in Calif

Hi Erin:
I was diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma with some characteristics of invasive lobular carcinoma in my right breast. I always had problems with cysts and calcifications in BOTH breasts. I talked to my surg. and SHE said if it was her she would have both breasts removed. I figured she probably knew what she was talking about. She recommended having implants as the least invasive proceedure. She and my plastic surg. discouraged me from having a Tram proceedure done because of the damage done to the lymph system and possible back problems developing. If you are considering this, please talk to a physical therapist before you decide and hear what they have to say about Tram proceedures.
I had modified mastectomies on both sides but the "healthy" side had far less extensive surgery with only breast removal and just 2 lymph nodes taken. The right side that had the cancer had much more tissue removed along with 20 lymph nodes (10 out of 20 positive). Because of the severity of the surgery on my right side I have mild lymphadema on that side. I pray to God I don't develop it on the other side. It can be quite painful and definately impacts the quality of your life. This is something you need to consider if you go ahead with your surgery...you might want to have an undamaged side that is not prone to developing trouble down the line. Of course, your chances of having cancer in the other breast in the future exists and you have to try to balance your choices.
I had expanders placed at the time of my surgery then about a year later saline implants. Due to radiation damage on the right side I had to have a second operation to "re-match" the breasts and relieve pain from scar tissue. I just had the second surgery Dec. 19 and, so far, I think the results are okay. When I wear a bra you can't tell that I have had surgery. Naked, I don't quite match but then again my "natural" breasts didn't exactly match either.
I don't know if this has been helpful to you but if you would like to talk about it further or have any other questions feel free to e-mail me. Take Care, Linda