Thread: Reconstruction
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
lisagh

Re: Reconstruction

I had BMX on dx and TE inserted at the time of surgery. At first, I wondered if it were worth the trouble. I was just wanting to get on with the process, but did get the TE put in.
The TE have been ok- just feel stiff. I have been getting expansions during the last several months slowly. I have a very good PS. The last one was a bit uncomfortable afterwards because the size now.
I only have 2 more fills to go- and am hoping to get a date for surgery this summer after chemo! (2 more rounds of TCH to go for me). I was told I can have this done even when on Herceptin by my MO, PS, and BS. The PS and BS are very experienced in the field (I had 2 opinions for everything- that's just me).

Now that I am getting near the end, I am glad that I had this done. I don't think I would have initially without others bringing it up. The TE surgery for the exchange is minor. The TE insertion wasn't long either.
Personally, I don't like recovery from long anesthesia- I was worried about surgery- that's just me. I was glad to go home the day after my BMX and TE procedure and did fine.
My exchange will just be an OP procedure- my PS said probably about 45 min per side.
It's a tough decision. I am glad I had this done- and am happy w/ the type. I can't say though it was easy doing chemo and having fills some during that- but glad it's done. The fills are nothing compared to chemo.
My PS discussed all options for me- he also does many other procedures well. It's a matter of what is best for you. Not an easy decision in this tough journey we are on.
Best wishes.
Lisa