Thread: Reconstruction
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Mary Jo

Re: Reconstruction

Hi Elizabeth - I just read your post and would love to tell you of my experience. I was dx in June of 2005. Stage 2B - had right breast mastectomy in July 2005 and started chemo in Augustv2005. March 2006 had left breast prophylactic mastectomy because suspicious area of calcification was found near chest wall. Had biopsy and it was benign but decided I wanted breast removed. All surgeries, chemo, radiation and one year of herceptin were completed by Oct. 2006! I was so happy it was all behind me but learning to live with a cancer dx was hard for me. I NEVER thought of reconstruction and knew more surgery, doctors and hospitals wasn't something I wanted to sign up for. I really was fine being (as I would often say) breastless and my main goal at this point was to be healthy and strong and to get back to the business of living. This was 2006 at 46 years old. Then it was 2008 and I was 48 years old and a 3 year survivor! Things were changing! I was healthy and strong and was definitely back in the land of the living! All of a sudden the thought of having breasts again started like something I might consider. I started doing my homework and realized that the only reconstruction option right for me was DIEP. I met with an excellent plastic surgeon who specializes in DIEP, Dr. John Hijjawi at Froedtert in Milwaukee, WI and the rest is history. I had bilateral DIEP in June of 2008! The surgery was a complete success. I recovered quickly and completely. I have never regretted my decision to have this done when I did. I could never have went through this at the beginning of my journey. No way! I had plenty to deal with then......like living! Having or not having breasts wasn't important to me at that time - living was. To be perfectly honest with you, the hardest part of making the decision to have this surgery for me was that whether I had it or not I was perfectly happy! I didn't have to do it for me to feel whole again, because I did feel whole. I started to feel as if I wanted this for me. I could do it if I wanted too. I was 48 years young and thought ..... Why not? So, I did it.

I hope this helps you somewhat. If you have any questions whatsoever please don't hesitate to contact me.

Praying you will be led to the right decision for you.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED