View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
naturaleigh

Re: I'm new and need info

Hey KitCat,

I am glad you have found this group, it is a bunch of very knowledgeable people, and many that are or have been in your shoes.

I am not one of the knowledgeable ones, but one of the ones that has been in your shoes.

I was diagnosed in 2005 after being mis-diagnosed in 2004 with a large tumor. After a year it had grown to a 6cm tumor. I am also Stage 2B, Her2+++, er- and pr-. I underwent the same treatment you have in 2006 and 2007, I just did radiation last.

My understanding of a Clinical trial is that a new drug is being tested and is being tested on patients which meet certain criteria. When I started Herception the Herception trial had just recently ended, which meant that it was proven effective, through the many people that were on that clinical trial. Next month will mark my 5th year of when I was first diagnosed, or how I prefer to look at it, 6th year of when I was mis-diagnosed. After all this time I have not had a recurrance and life is back to normal. That is not to say that the thoughts of cancer are not there, they are no longer what I think of continually as was the case with me and probably everyone else when they are first diagnosed.

Keep in mind, that if you ever do have a recurrance, it will probably be many, many years down the road and because of these recent clinical trials there will be even more options for a plan of attact so you still may not qualify for the current clinical trail. Herceptin has done the trick for so many, especially for the newly diagnosed. I know you feel like a sitting duck and feel you need to do more, but rest assured, you are in the correct treatment. The year will go by before you know it and then you can start to put all this behind you.

Always feel free to come here with any questions you may have. You will be amazed of the help that you from this wonderful site.

If you ever want to PM me, go under my name and look for the PM link.

There is also a lady on this site, MaryJo which shares the same diagnosis as us. She was diagnosed a few months before I was. She is out power walking everyday!! While I was on Herception, I went and walked several miles before my treatment. Things look dark at the moment, but soon you will start to feel better and will resume your current activities.

Good luck to you!!

Anita

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008