View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Laurel

Thumbs up

Well said, Jean, and it's so true for us early stagers. We simply must lead with the knowledge that exists presently. I tried to get the topo 2 study, but my onc was not agreeable. I chose the ACTH because of statistics and because I challenged my young, female oncologist by asking her to place herself in my shoes and then tell me what she would do. Without flinching she said she'd pick the ACTH over TCH, and absolutely would do chemo followed by Herceptin. At my last visit she cited the studies you referenced in your lst post to this thread.

At the end of the day, I felt I needed to go as aggressive as possible so that should I (God forbid!) recur I will not be filled with regret. No "if only s" for me. I would encourage all early stagers to follow our lead and go the chemo/Herceptin route and let the chips fall where they may. I understand the temptation to resist chemo. I certainly tried to avoid it! However, I am at peace with my decision and will remain so come what may. I do hope the protocol will become one where there is less chemo, or no chemo recommended to be eligible to receive Herceptin. It would be nice to have chemo in early stage hormone +, Her-2 + BC be determined to not warrant the risk and therefore not a part of any future protocol. More research is needed for that to occur, and perhaps based upon that new research chemo in conjunction with Herceptin will remain the protocol of choice for us.

For now, in the adjuvent setting chemo with Herceptin is the best bet in my opinion, and apparently in the opinion of most oncologists. This is an excellent thread, Jean, and I thank you for starting it. I pray it helps some early stage 1 gals/guys determine their treatment choice.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote