Thread: Drop in MUGA
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
mts

Expect side effects from Herceptin...

My MUGA has also dropped dramatically. I was an "impressive" 86% after AC+T and now am "borderline" at 52%. I am 43 yrs old. Stage I.
I am also on 3 week infusions since July '05. I also have MUGA's every 2 to 3 months.
The Herceptin has many side effects, I too have had a little cough/ tightness-to the point that I went for a PET and CT. Both were negative...
I have been on weekly Herceptin; biweekly and now every three weeks. For me, no method provided any lessening of side effects. Some members to this website have stated that weekly dosages have decreased cardiac toxicity because there is no "loading dose" like you have at three weeks.

I have tingles in my left arm and hand. My BC was in my right breast. I also get itsy heart fluttering sensations. All these are side effects, keep your MUGA's in check and listen to your body.

According to the literature I have read (and from members of this site); the effects of Herceptin are reversible. Yet, the drug has not been around that long to provide 10+ years of data. So, we really don't know the long-term effects.

My onc wants me to stay on Herceptin- every three weeks for 2 years. After that, he wants to increase the time between infusions. We are not sure how often, but at least in a couple of years more data will have been collected. I will try to stay on the Herceptin as long as I can.

warmly,

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote