View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #79
evlin75

Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

Glad to hear the IT treatments seem to be working for others. My daughter was infected with staph - either when the ommaya port was installed or when herceptin was instilled. Had to remove it in an emergency procedure. Found an abscess behind the ommaya. I stayed with her for eight weeks instilling antibiotics IV to get it under control.
She has since transferred to MD Anderson in Orlando whee she is getting the IT by spinal puncture. 40 mg right now, but can be raised -unlike the clinical trial. The clinical trial dose would not change. The first MRI showed clearing of the cervical area and other areas with a bit less of the cancer. The second MRI looked mostly the same with not much change seen.
The fact that she was infected and could not receive chemo for the other areas of her body - bones etc - allowed her to qualify for the pertuzamab. She said maybe the infection was a blessing in disguise.
She has remained on the Tykerb and is now back on the Herceptin plus pertuzamab also.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for her and am wishing the best for all - no matter the diagnoses or treatments scheduled for them.
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote